VOD ALERT--PACK LEGISLATIVE HEARING IN LANSING WED. FEB. 9 AT 8:30 AM TO CONFRONT ROBERT BOBB; also new stories out in the Voice of Detroit
If you need a ride or details for time of departure, call 313 368-2148. The bus or car pool will leave from Northwest Activities Center.
From Voice of Detroit's
Friends, please click on http://voiceofdetroit.net for an alert calling on concerned parents, teachers, DPS workers, students and others to pack a legislative hearing in Lansing tomorrow, during which Detroit Public Schools Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb will appear. The joint meeting of the House and Senate committees on education is expected to consider expanding Bobb's role, as well as the roles of emergency financial managers state-wide. His appearance comes in the wake of his firing of 700 DPS custodians, engineers, maintenance workers and others to privatize with the notorious Sodexo. In addition, note the latest on:
1) DPS Unions, community take battle against Bobb, confront big media in opposition to Bobb, Sodexo.
2) Detroit: People's control of water the only answer; the latest on suburban moves Feb. 4 in federal court to takeover the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, as well as community, union and other leaders' protests against takeover of DWSD.
3) A call for support for Ahlam Mosen and Max Kantar, two activists each facing eight years in prison for their confrontation with Sen. Carl Levin over his support of Israel and opposition to the Arab peoples of the Middle East.
4) Extensive coverage and commentary on the mass uprising in Egypt, from Al Jazeera and other sources; also local report on demonstration in Dearborn to support Egyptian revolution, Jan. 29.
5) Plans for LA Urban Peace, Justice and Empowerment Summit in May.
6) Petition for prison reform in Michigan.
7) The latest attack on Nathaniel Abraham, imprisoned for most of his life since the age of 11.
Please send your articles, commentary and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the pages of the VOICE OF DETROIT. Thank you for your support.